Sunday, April 26, 2009

Seriously?

Well, it's been quite the 24-hour period leading up to now, but I have good things to report.

I did go running once while I as in DC, and it was great. I did a 5K in about 29:30, though it was with a lot of stopping for lights because I thought it best to stay on main streets. I waved to the Obamas as I ran by the White House. No sightings, though. Not even Bo, who I was secretly hoping would be playing in the front yard.

By noon yesterday, I was well on my way to the airport. My flight took off at about 3:30, a half hour later than scheduled. We we put in an holding pattern when we reached O'Hare because of thunderstorms, and eventually had to land in Indianapolis due to lack of fuel. Then we sat on a runway for THREE AND A HALF HOURS, at which point they canceled the flight. I had to get off, wait through a long line, and rebook. Luckily, I was able to get out on the last flight to Chicago and didn't have to stay overnight in Indy. Unluckily, we didn't land at O'Hare until almost 11pm, and I didn't get home until midnight.

So, when I woke up at 6 this morning on 5 and a half hours of sleep, I didn't have very high hopes for a good race time. But, it wasn't raining, which was a good thing, and I went to the race.

I surprised myself by clocking a 28:20 -- 48 seconds faster than my time at this race last year, and faster than my third 5K last season. Amazing considering my lack of sleep, sporadic training, and recent injury.

Speaking of the psoas, I didn't feel it at all during or after my run in DC, though the long walks sightseeing did bother it a bit. It felt a bit sore this morning, I think just from the extra long periods of sitting in cramped spaces yesterday. But it didn't even occur to me to check on it after the race this morning. I wasn't even thinking about it. So I must not have felt a thing. Now when I do the knee lift, I do feel a tiny something, but nothing I would even notice if I wasn't paying attention.

All in all, a good result out of a crazy week. Time to start focusing on getting my mileage back up for the ten miler in four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment