Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Highs and Lows

Let's start with the positive. On Monday, I went out and ran a whopping 9.3 miles! Looking at my schedule and the weather, it seemed like I wasn't going to have another chance for a long run this week, and I was feeling great on Monday. So I did it. And I didn't really struggle much! Actually, when I got to the end of the 15K, I considered going a bit farther to make it 10 miles. But then I thought, why not save another victory for another day? I was really on a high as I was cooling down.

But, unfortunately, after I made it up to my apartment, I found myself in some major pain. My right groin muscle hurt so bad that I could barely limp from my couch to the refrigerator. I was seriously freaked out. Forget not being able to run -- I am completely dependent on walking to get around, and I climb at least 6 flights of stairs a day. Any limits on my mobility felt really scary.

Thankfully, the next morning the muscles were still sore but I could move. That was yesterday, and today it is even better. I'm hoping that if I take the rest of the week off, I will be ok next week.

I learned my lesson. No need to push too hard too fast. I've got 4 months before the half marathon, and almost 2 before the 10 miler. When I start up again, no need to push as hard as I've been pushing.

I must confess that I hate taking time off. It's killing me to not be at speed training right now. I know I'm doing the smart thing, but some irrational part of me thinks all my hard work is being lost right now. I'm trying to enjoy the break and tell myself that months of dedicated training won't suddenly disappear over the next few days.

I also scheduled a free injury screening for next Monday, so if it still is bothering by then, I'll get some professional advice.

(sigh) This really killed my high, but I'm still proud of the nine miles and still proud of doing the Shamrock Shuffle. To end on a high note, let me just say that I got the link to my Shuffle photos today, and they were awesome. I just dropped $20 on a copy of one because it was just too good to pass up.

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up; you should be proud. I'm pretty sure everyone has pushed harder than they should now and again. At any rate, sometimes these injuries just happen. I hope you're not laid up for long!

    ReplyDelete