Saturday, May 16, 2009

Double digits!

Today, I ran 10 miles.

TODAY I RAN 10 MILES!

I'm making sure to say it a lot of times, to myself and to anyone who will listen, because 10 miles is a huge accomplishment! I'm so proud of myself for getting here, and in time for the race next week.

I did the 10 miles in 1:47:30, which is a 10:45 pace right down to the second. If I can repeat that next week, and finish my first 10-mile race at under an 11-minute pace, I will be elated. But really, I will be happy just to finish.

I was a little bit worried during my last half-mile or so, because my left hip muscles were hurting. But I kept going for a couple of reasons: 1. It didn't hurt nearly as much as when I got the injury, 2. The pain didn't seem to be related to going up curbs the way it did when I got the injury, and of course, 3. I'm stubborn.

When I got to 10 miles, it didn't hurt to walk or climb the stairs, and by the time I was out of the shower, I didn't feel any pain any more. Yay! I walked over 3 miles today and I felt fine the whole time. When I sat for more than a half-hour, I was stiff and a bit sore when I got up, but not in a bothersome way. Just enough to remind me what I had accomplished.

I ran 10 miles today, and I am amazed at how good I feel.

Tomorrow, I am taking the day off. Monday I'll do an easy 5K and Wednesday I'll go to speed training, but Friday I am resting. Because Saturday is race day!

If anyone is in town, it'd be awesome if you'd come and see me cross the finish line. For most races, no one I know is there when I finish, and this race is going to be HUGE for me. 10 miles is a gigantic accomplishment on its own, but for me, it also represents a very difficult comeback from my first major injury. It would mean a lot to me to have someone there. You get to come into Soldier Field for free and sit in the stands. Plus you'll see me on the jumbotron!

I ran 10 miles today. 10 miles! It feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm so happy for you. Wish I could be there Saturday for you. I'll be there in spirit! Call me after the race!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete