Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Veering but not lost....

Well, I'm slightly off track again but it's not really my fault. It was thunderstorming this evening, and while speed work was not officially called off, I chose not to go. I would have been soaked before I even got there, and the intersquad 5K was not going to be particularly helpful to me anyway.

Luckily, I planned ahead. I knew the thunderstorms were coming, so this morning I ran a 5K instead of doing my regular weight training. I really tried to push my speed to mimic what a race would be like. I finished in 29:18. That's like 30 seconds faster than yesterday, which is good. But it's a far cry from my PR, and even a far cry from my Ravenswood time last weekend. So I wasn't thrilled, but I did it pain free, so that was a good thing.

The 5K was still about a 2-mile easy run short of what I would do at speed work (because of the warm up and cool down). So, I had hoped to do that this evening if the rain broke. But it's still raining, so that's not happening. Instead, I did double weight training and aerobics -- one for the one I skipped this morning to do the 5K, and one for tomorrow morning. So hopefully the rain will let up in time for me to do a 2-mile easy run tomorrow morning. Then I will be caught up.

My injury continues to frustrate me. It does not usually hurt when I run, especially if I stick to 5Ks. But long periods of sitting cause my whole hip region to ache when I start moving again. The specific muscles that hurt vary from day to day and hour to hour, but it seems like something always hurts.

I'm really looking forward to the Soldier Field 10-miler. It's going to be a huge hurdle, but once I am past it, I will be able to relax a little, because I'll have two months to add just 3.1 miles to my long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment