Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's always something...

After the race, I took Sunday and Monday off. But I actually ran twice yesterday -- a 5K in the morning, and a 4-mile run in the evening. The evening run was part of "chick's night" at Fleet Feet, which also involved some awesome free food and a seminar on compression wear. It was interesting -- I think I am going to buy some compression capris.

Tonight I went to speed training, and none of my friends were there. I thought I might find this lonely, but it was actually sort of peaceful to just stop and go as I was ready. It was repeat miles as in-outs in 400s, which means you are supposed to do one lap a little faster, then the second a little slower, etc. I never really understood how I could possibly have enough awareness of my pace to slow it by only a few seconds. But Coach Leach said something different tonight -- he said the first lap shouldn't feel slower, it should just feel more relaxed. Suddenly, I understood in-outs! Funny how the right words can make everything clear.

I ran three repeat miles in 8:44, 8:48, and 8:54, respectively. So all under 9 minutes! I was pleased.

Unfortunately, earlier today I felt just the hint of a shin splint in my left leg. I chose to go to speed work anyway, since I had to really try to irritate it to even feel anything. Now, I don't think I made that one worse, but I feel just a hint of a shin splint in my right leg, as well. (sigh) I can barely feel them in terms of pain, but when I feel my shins, the telltale bumps are there under the skin. Figures. I finally am to a point with my hips that they aren't bothering me, and I get some f-ing shin splits.

But, looking on the bright side, at least it happened after the big race and not before. And, at least they are very mild. I'll be taking tomorrow off for sure, and possibly Friday too, just to try to keep the shin splits from getting worse. If I have to, I will also push my long run from Saturday to Sunday, or shorten it, or even skip it altogether if it comes to that.

In race news, I am currently registered for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon on August 2 and the Hot Chocolate 15K on November 1. Other races I am considering are the Fleet Feet Women's Festival on July 19, the Bucktown 5K on October 4, and the Race to Taste on June 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment