Sunday, August 2, 2009

Success!!!


Well, I did it. I finished my half marathon this morning, and it was AWESOME. My official time was 2:30:54, only 54 seconds slower than my original, pre-injury goal. That's pretty darn amazing seeing as even earlier this week, I was considering sitting it out.

I can't say that I felt as good through this race as I did during the Soldier Field 10. I didn't have that "I could run forever" feeling that I did then. I took 2 five-minute walk breaks and a couple of other shorter walk breaks, but I ran almost the whole way. I was tired at the end, but still had a bit in me to sprint for the finish, and that felt good. Besides, there's a different kind of satisfaction in finishing something that was hard. I'm really proud of what I did today.

Only some minor pains along the way, and only very minor pains now, which is also a very good thing.

During my injury struggles, I came to accept that perhaps my body just isn't built for distance running. So, this may be the only half marathon I ever run. But even if it is, I don't care. Because today, I totally rocked the Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron told me that YOU MADE IT.....I wanted to add my congratulations to you too. YOU ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!! Sue Heinen

    ReplyDelete