Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Run between the raindrops? Ha.

I think I may have crossed another threshold into true runner-dom today. It was raining, and I ran my 8K anyway.

It really wasn't as bad as I expected. The wind was worse than the rain.

The good news is I completed my 8K in 45:52! That's under a 9:15 pace and totally unheard of for me. There are several things I think could have contributed to this:
1. I run better in the afternoon than I ever did in the morning. I used to do all my runs in the morning, but now that I run longer than 30 minutes, I've had to train in the afternoon instead.
2. The stopping and starting I have to do at stoplights could be beneficial. I always get annoyed when I have to stop, feeling like it throws me off my rhythm. But perhaps I am actually renewed each time I have to stop and let my heart rate slow for 30 seconds or so. Or maybe I accidentally shave seconds off my time as I start and stop my watch.
3. I ran faster because of the rain. (I doubt this one.)
4. Speed training has already started to work. This seems sketchy because I have only gone twice, but it's possible.

Regardless, I'm happy and feel like I deserve a treat. Sadly (happily?), I have nothing in the apartment and don't want to go out to get anything. I guess the method of not buying anything to keep around really works.

Speed training tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment