Sunday, March 22, 2009

Off to a Running Start

Hello, readers! (Assuming there are any out there!) My enthusiasm for running has increased lately, and I have more and more thoughts bouncing around in my mind about it. So, I decided to start this blog as a record of my training, progress, and race schedule for this season. It may not be interesting for anyone but me, but I hope that it will become a useful tool.

For this first post, all I really want to say is that I ran eight miles yesterday, which is a personal best for me. And I did it in a little over 1 hour and 17 minutes. That's just under a 9:30 pace. I'm really happy about this and feeling like I am well on my way to reaching my ultimate goal for this year: to complete the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Chicago on August 2.

I'm officially entered in four races so far:
March 29: Shamrock Shuffle 8K
April 26: Ravenswood Run 5K
May 23: Soldier Field 10 Miler
August 2: Chicago Rock N Roll Half Marathon

I'm sure there will be others. I always welcome support on the course or at the finish line if anyone is interested in coming out!

This week, my focus is on preparing for the Shamrock Shuffle next Sunday. Here's the plan:
Sunday: run 5K (which I have already done, yay!)
Monday: rest from running, do AM weight training
Tuesday: run 8K to get a feel for my expected finish time
Wednesday: speed training with Coach Leach and the FF Racing Team (4 x 200 m, plus hills)
Thursday: rest from running, do AM weight training
Friday: run 8K
Saturday: rest
Sunday: RACE DAY!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment