Saturday, June 15, 2013

26 Letters to Stephen: 3

June 15, 2013

Dear Stephen,

Week one of marathon training complete. One down, 17 to go.

At the beginning of the week, I had settled on doing one 3-mile run, one speed workout, one bike commute, one long run, and two strength training sessions each week. After this week, though, I might be changing my mind.

It was raining on Monday morning, so I did the elliptical instead. Then I did strength training Tuesday morning and ran with the Scouts Tuesday night. Wednesday I did strength training again.

The trouble started on Thursday. I went to the track workout with the Scouts. In the middle of my 4th or 5th 400-meter repeat, I got some cramping in my hamstrings. One of them was really, really sore all day Friday and still not great this morning. I had that really horrible feeling of not knowing whether or not I should run.

It didn’t hurt that much, but would running make it worse? It wouldn’t be a big deal to miss a 6-miler, but how could I skip my very first run with the training group?

In the end, I decided to run. I feel ok right now. I’m sore, but not alarmingly so. I just hope I don’t regret it tomorrow.

An injured hamstring isn’t a devil I’ve handled before. I hate the unknown. This is exactly what I didn’t want to feel this time around. Perhaps I skip speed training next week.

The good news is that I think I am really going to like running with CARA. The group leader and all the women in my group are really nice.

I thought of you this morning when the pace groups were working themselves out. How fast did you run, anyway? I know it was a hell-of-a-lot faster than me. Maybe 8-minute miles? Sorry I’m slowing you down. But maybe you would like running with all women, anyway.

I miss you buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment