Saturday, September 25, 2010

2 weeks til the marathon.

2 weeks? Ack! I'm starting to get really excited now. The signs are up along the route and the city is gearing up for it.

This week definitely did not go like I planned or hoped, but in the end I think it was ok.

On Monday my quads were still really sore, so I did not run or bike. Tuesday morning, I ran 3 miles, but walked a bit in there. My left quad was still sore, so my gait was a bit off and my shins started to hurt a little.

Wednesday, I started to feel pretty sick. My stomach had never really felt normal since Saturday, and it seemed to be getting worse. I was standing at the bus stop when a sharp pain started in my right side. It faded as I got on the bus, but I started to get dizzy. I had to squat down to avoid passing out. The spell passed pretty quickly, but I was in a cold sweat for a while and my stomach continued to bother me.

I woke up Thursday hoping to run in the afternoon. However, I had the same pain in my side while waiting for the bus. I didn't know what to think, and I was tired of feeling sick, so I made a doctor's appointment for that afternoon.

A lot of possibilities went through my mind. Kidney stones run in my family. Appendicitis would require surgery. And on and on. I didn't really believe it was anything serious, but if it was, I needed to know now.

Thankfully, the doctor ruled out kidney stones and several other things. She couldn't completely rule out appendicitis, but said my symptoms did not really make sense for that, either. She thought it was some sort of bug I just had to wait out. The answer I wanted, but still frustrating.

I was completely wiped out the rest of the day Thursday and Friday. I slept over nine hours a night.

I got up this morning and decided to try running. I set out at about 7:30 and did 12 miles at a 9:1 run:walk ratio. My overall pace was 11:30 per mile, which really wasn't bad. My legs cooperated pretty well -- only minor complaints from my quads and shins -- but my stomach really hurt through most of it. I'm glad I went out and did it, but I'm also really glad it's over.

Now I'll be resting up and hoping to kick whatever bug is in my system out soon. I end this week with only two runs and no biking at all, but it was the most I could handle so I'm not going to fret it.

On a different note, I tried out a hydration belt today and liked it. Looks like I'll be wearing mine on race day.

15 days to go. Hang in there, legs. Hang in there, gut. We're gonna do this.

Miles on my shoes: 176

1 comment:

  1. Visiting you from Shannon's blog... I am a newbie runner so I admire your marathon training. I am not sure I would have it in me. Good Luck this weekend!!! I hope you feel great and finish within your 5hour goal. Best of Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete