Sunday, July 4, 2010

14 weeks until the marathon...

... but will I be running? After this week, I am not so sure.

Unfortunately, I have once again experiencing shin pain while I am running. I took Sunday off and biked on Monday, and then had some shin issues during my 4-mile run on Tuesday. Displeased by this relapse, I had Coach look at my gait again. He said it wasn't perfect -- said I needed to tuck my hips a bit more -- but better than it was. So, I don't see why my form would be the issue. I did 8 x 400 m, and it started to hurt by the end.

I biked on Thursday without issue, then was pleased to be able to run 6 miles on Friday morning. Small pain issues, but nothing that crescendoed or hurt while I walked later. So I had high hopes at that point.

Unfortunately, when I tried to run on Saturday, I had to take several walk breaks during my 5 miles. The pain didn't extend into walking, but disheartening nonetheless.

Today is my off day. I walked around a bit and didn't feel anything, but both shins are tender to the touch. I've been icing and compressing every chance I get, but I have a sinking feeling in my gut that my training is essentially over.

For now, however, I am forcing myself to think positive. Here's what this week's training is supposed to look like:

Monday/Tuesday: bike/3 miles
Wednesday: speed training
Thursday/Friday: bike/5 miles
Saturday: 12 miles

If I make it through the next week, it will be a miracle in and of itself. The next 14 weeks? No comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment