Saturday, March 27, 2010

Week 8 complete

This week went pretty well, all things considered. I'm pleased with the way things turned out.

Sunday was the Shamrock Shuffle, and I totally kicked butt.

Monday was an off day, and much needed! My quads were very sore from the race. But it was a good sore.

Tuesday I ran 6 miles outside at roughly a 10:30 pace. I felt my right shin through maybe the first half mile, but then the pain went away. I trotted along at a steady pace the whole time. I got to the end of the route, and I had the feeling of "oh, I'm here already." It made me think about the fact that it was only about 18 month ago when 6 miles was a REALLY big deal. It made me smile to think about how far I have come.

Wednesday I went to speed work. We did 800 repeats, in 200 m out-in-out-ins. So, run the first 200 m at about 15 seconds under your 5K pace, the next 200 at your 5K pace, repeat. I actually really liked that workout. It really helped me to get a feel for my pace. I did 6 repeats, which, combined with the warm up and cool down, added up to a 6-mile workout. I felt my shin during the warm-up, but not after.

Thursday was an off day.

Friday I did the same 5-mile hill workout on the treadmill. Aerobically, I felt great. However, I felt my shins both when I first started and then through the whole last mile. This made me extremely unhappy. I really thought they were getting better. They bothered me off and on during the day Friday.

I was nervous for my 10-mile long run today, but it went as well as I had a right to hope. My shins had twinges, but there was never a time when they hurt with every step -- not even when I first started out. I kept up a steady, easy pace the whole time, and while I was tired in the end, I was not completely whipped. I felt like I had a few more miles left in me. I finished in 1:46:38, roughly a 10:40 pace.

I feel a little sore both in my shins and my quads, but if I get through the rest of the day without any worrisome pain, I will be satisfied.

Six weeks until the River Bank Run, and I'm feeling pretty good about my status.

Here's next week's plan:
Sunday: 4 miles (or not, depending on how the rest of the day goes)
Monday: off
Tuesday: 7 miles
Wednesday: speed work
Thursday: off
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 8 miles

Not so bad, really.

Miles on my 2150s: 130
Miles on my foundations: 61

No comments:

Post a Comment