Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week 2 complete

Another week of the training plan done with one minor cheat.

Sunday I did the planned 5 miles outside, and it was a thousand times nicer than Saturday!

Monday I took off. (Somehow, I never have trouble with the rest days.)

Tuesday I did 3 miles on the treadmill in the am.

Wednesday, despite the 12+ inches of snow on the ground, I went to the speed workout. I was the only one of my group of friends to go, and when I got to the site, I found out the workout was mile repeats. (Ugh) So, I did three mile repeats in my Yak Traks in the snowy zoo parking lot. I'd be more bitter, except coach told me I got bonus points for coming out. My upper right shin was sore when I got home, so I iced. Nothing like icing when you get home from a cold workout. :-(

Thursday was an off day, and unfortunately my shins bothered me all day. So when I woke up Friday morning, I decided to skip my 3 miler, deciding that I could do it when I got home if I felt up to it. Shins didn't feel too bad in the afternoon, but I still skipped it in favor of a 15 minute yoga workout from YouTube, 30 minutes of hand weights, and 20 minutes on the Air Climber.

Today I went out and ran 7 miles. I thought it was going to feel bitter cold, but I'm quickly learning that it's not the temperature that matters. It's the wind. And it was pretty calm today, so I was comfortable. Comfortable in my long underwear, thermal running pants, wicking shirt, thermal shirt with thumb holes, running jacket, gloves, ninja face mask, and ear band, that is. :-)

Shins were bothering me pretty much through the whole thing, unfortunately. I have a hard time with this kind of thing. I felt twinges all the time, but never anything that really made it uncomfortable to run. What was uncomfortable was my worried mind asking myself if I should stop every 2 minutes. I ended up doing the whole run, though, and all that feels sore now is that same upper right shin that hurt on Wednesday. I'm going to have to watch that, but it feels more sore than injured, and I'm certain it's muscle and not bone.

So anyway. That was my week. Friday was a minor cheat, but it was justified and probably better in the long run.

Miles on my 2150s: 35
Miles on my foundations: 23

Here's the plan for Week 3:
Sunday: 5 miles (possibly on the treadmill so I can do a longer hill workout)
Monday: off
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: speed work
Thursday: off
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: 6 miles

I like this whole not-every-week-gets-longer thing. When I was making up my own training plans, I always made long runs get longer every week. But the pros say my long run goes back to 6 miles next week! Yay!

Hope the cold weather doesn't last much longer.

If Google Buzz put this on your feed, and you read all the way to the end... I'm impressed. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment